Hearts Full of Love, Laughter, and Happiness!

Posted by on October 28, 2013

Hello friends ~

Right now I am writing to share my happiness with you all!  Where does all this happiness come from, you ask?  Well, one of my favorite people in the world came to visit me in Spain this week.  My best friend Lauren is studying in Bath, England this semester, so she took a hop across the pond to Bilbao during her fall break!  It is going to be difficult for me to explain how wonderful it was to have Lauren in Spain with me, but I sure will try!

Picking Lauren up at the airport was an adventure in itself – we made quite a scene with our reunion.  We were squealing from excitement, crying, laughing, hugging, the whole nine yards.  When we finally recollected our “cool” we made our way back to Bilbao.  It was so nice to show Lauren all my favorite spots to grab a pintxo, a glass of wine, read a book, and people watch!  That night she got to meet my friends and the people I study with here at the University of Deusto.  Then the next morning while I was in class, Lauren visited the Guggenheim.  After we poked around a few shops that afternoon, we headed up the Funicular Cable Car ride to the top of a mountain in the outskirts of Bilbao.  The fall weather was absolutely perfect for an afternoon up on the mountain, so we spent some time up there soaking in the beautiful view of Bilbao and – of course – taking selfies!

IMG_20131024_193548

At the top of the mountain in Bilbao!

La vista.

Fall in Bilbao!

Friday morning we got up early to head to San Sebastian for the day!  The little beach town was so beautiful.  All the old architecture along the ocean was perfectly picturesque!  In the old part of town we had the classic three-course Spanish lunch and – although the weather was questionable at the start of the day – the sun came out for us as we stepped outside the restaurant!  We walked the whole way along the beach to another Funicular that took us up to – what I think – was the best view I’ve seen in my time abroad in Spain so far.  No words can describe, so here is a picture:

IMG_20131025_192445

San Sebastian, everybody!

She’s such a cutie.

Our lunch spot.

Beach walk in San Sebastian!

Open ocean + mountains = love.

The Funicular of San Sebastian.

Upon our return from San Sebastian, we grabbed pintxos for dinner at my favorite spot and headed home to settle in for a quiet night.  We snuggled in bed with junk food and watched a movie that was one we had both been wanting to see – “Casablanca.”  As cheesy as this may sound, it was absolutely the perfect last night with my best friend in Spain!  Saying goodbye the next day was hard for us both because we had such a good time together…but we’ll see each other soon and have new adventures!

20131025_170520

Being goofy. It’s what we do.

casablanca-17fga0m

To put it simply, Lauren is my other half.  We laugh at the same silly jokes, find pleasure in the same sweet, simple moments, and of course – always have an amazing time together.  I’ve been really needing a familiar face in Bilbao, so her timing was perfect!  Sharing my new temporary home in Spain – as well as the experiences that come with it – with Lauren was very special to me.  Having someone here who just gets me without me having to say a word was very refreshing.  It’s hard to explain how happy this time with her made me; I think Lauren put it perfectly as we were sitting peacefully in silence together on our ride up the Bilbao mountain when she turned to me and said, “Robin, right now, I am so very happy in my heart.” <3

1378524_552706144782861_1510093745_n

Me and my girl.

One Response to Hearts Full of Love, Laughter, and Happiness!

1. Abby

Ridiculously cute, looks like so much fun! Wish your favorite swimteam (and coach) could all visit! Come home sooooooon!