Goodbye, Bilbao

Posted by on December 18, 2013

Tomorrow I will leave the city I have come to know as my “home away from home.”  I cannot believe how fast this semester flew by!!  It feels like not so long ago I was just getting to know my host family and unpacking my bags…and today – my host family really does seem like my second family, I am almost done repacking my suitcases.  (It blows my mind that my entire life for the past 4 months is going to fit into two suitcases, by the way.)  Lately all I have wanted to do is soak in this city as much as I can.  I spent most of this past week spending time with my host family and revisiting my favorite spots in the city – getting a glass of wine with friends at our favorite bars, grabbing a coffee and people watching on Gran Via solo, and watching Disney movies in Spanish with my host family.  I don’t know the next time I will be back in Bilbao, so I needed to do all my favorite things one last time before I left!

2013-12-09 20.12.40

My last time tutoring Mikel in English 🙂 What a cutie.

2013-12-12 11.58.25

Last grammar class. Me encantan estas chicas.

Me and my host family 🙂

2013-12-16 20.07.57

Me and Katie with our favorite bartender in the city!

2013-12-18 13.47.40

Merry Christmas from Bilbao public transportation!

2013-12-18 17.00.40

At Deusto’s closing ceremonies.

It blows my mind how transformative this semester was for me.  I learned a new language, made a new city in a foreign country my home, gained confidence and courage I didn’t even know I had in me, and formed relationships with amazing people who have touched my life forever.  It is unbelievable to me that I am leaving to return to the United States in less than eight hours, simply because I can’t imagine myself having a life in another place other than Bilbao!  As much as I am looking forward to being in Virginia with my family and friends, I am sad to say goodbye to this city.  However – I am trying not to think of it as goodbye.  It is just:  “Hasta luego, Bilbao!  Hasta la proxima vez.”

2013-12-17 17.48.28

“See you later” to Bilbao, my Spanish home.

One Response to Goodbye, Bilbao